A Question: What Is Your Song?

“What's your favorite song to this day, from your childhood, that takes you to a magickal place!!???”

A friend posed this question recently.

What a great question!

Throughout the most challenging moments of my life, music has been a constant companion.

It brings me up when I’m down, and brings me down when I’m too far up!

It’s always been part of my life, yet to answer that question, I truly had to wrack my brain!

So I sat with it for a day.

Took my mind for a trip down memory lane.

My earliest memory of songs?

Little ditty’s like, Twinkle Little Star, Humpty Dumpty, Puff the Magick Dragon.

Do those take me to a majickal place when I think of them?

No. I don’t feel it.

They are but Mere Moments, snippets of memories, fluttering about and coming quickly to rest upon the paths of time.

I later evolved To “Mum’s Songs”. Record player on repeat. Love songs. Yellow Ribbons, Old Oak Trees, Blue Eyes, and Beautiful Girls Gone Missing.

Not my songs. Just a familiarity. A place in time and space. Someone else’s happy moments.

Flutter away. Bye!

My first choice, my OWN developed taste, was ABBA, and they carried me along for a bit.

And then I was a teen. Duran. Uncanny. Frankenfurter.

Early adulthood saw Floyd and the Zep. The RHCP and U2.

Tool, later on.

All this music helped me stay afloat through some very trying times.

Some still does.

Yet where does childhood music begin and end?

For the purpose of this exploration, let’s assume it ends with puberty!

So…. try as I might I could not find within myself, any one song or songs from my childhood that can carry me to a magickal place now.

Then it dawned on me - perhaps I first need to define just what “magickal place” means to me?!

And the answer flooded my thoughts quickly.

As a kid, I didn’t want to grow up in a city, or the suburbs thereof.

I detested everything about it.

The noise, the people, the pollution - it drove me crazy.

Yet, I was fortunate that could spend my school holidays in the country.

I loved nothing more than being out in the bush.

I would spend hours upon hours upon hours exploring, and being out in nature was the only place I wanted to be.

Sometimes I was exploring on a motorbike,
Sometimes I was exploring on horseback,
Sometimes I relied on Shanks Pony for my adventures.

And it’s truly what I lived most for.

These precious moments that existed in between the moments of city living, where when:

I felt connected, and disconnected.

I felt understood, and that I understood.

I felt part of something bigger than I could comprehend, and yet trusting I was a part of it.

I felt vulnerable, and I felt strong.

I felt like I was in absolute alignment, completely in tune to Nature and to Self.

I could feel that it was by Her Grace alone
That I was allowed to be there
I was hyper aware that at any instant
She could turn completely hostile

I LOVED that. I loved all of those feelings, those realisations.

I felt…..

SO FUCKING ALIVE.

And that’s my magickal place.

That feeling. Those feelings.

That is my magickal place.

And so, I come full circle, back to the original question.

“Is there a song from childhood that takes me to my magickal place?”

Yes! Yes indeed there is!

There are many songs in fact….

The Songs of Currajong.
The Songs of Cockatoo.
The Songs of Magpie.
The Songs of Frog.
The Songs of Insect.
The Songs of Rain and Storm.
The Songs of Waves,
As they crash to shore.
The Songs of Raindrops,
And so, so much more.

Nature’s Songs.
Nature’s Voice.
Are also my Songs.
It is those songs
That are dearest to my heart.

When I’m feeling overwhelmed by Suburbia
When I’m feeling overwhelmed by Fake News
When I’m feeling overwhelmed by Noise
When I’m feeling overwhelmed by Pollution
When I’m feeling overwhelmed by Consumerism
When I’m feeling overwhelmed by my Fear Mind

Without fail, along comes a Song just for me
It rises above the artificial cacophony
It makes sure I can hear it loud and clear
And in so doing I am reminded
I am transported, momentarily
And in that precious moment
I know that it is always there
Inviting me
Waiting for me
Reminding me
That I can visit
My Magickal Place
At any time.



What is Your Magickal Place?
What Song transports you there?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eternal Internal Battles and How I Overcome Them

Today I Am Celebrating Me!